The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) sets strict standards for the privacy and security of protected health information (PHI). Our team at Kirkwood Direct is thrilled to share that we are a HIPAA-compliant print, direct mail, and data specialist who uses HIPAA-compliant software and security measures to protect our client’s data. To take it a step further, our employees go through training on HIPAA compliance on a regular basis as we take a never-ending learning approach to be sure that we are up-to-date on any regulatory changes or best practices.
Why should you work with a HIPPA-compliant direct mail company? We’ve got several reasons, but first, in the spirit of “never-ending learning”, let’s break down a few acronyms:
- HIPAA: The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act is a federal law that protects sensitive patient health information. HIPAA requires the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to develop regulations that protect the privacy and security of certain health information
- PHI: This critical privacy rule protects all “individually identifiable health information” held or transmitted by a covered entity or its business associate in any form or media, whether electronic, paper, or oral. Therefore, this information is considered Protected Health Information.
- Peace of Mind: Utilizing a HIPAA-compliant direct mail company allows you to focus on your core business activities while knowing that your mailing operations are in compliance with regulations and securely handling sensitive patient data.
- Patient Trust: Patients and healthcare consumers expect their personal health information to be treated with the utmost care and confidentiality. Working with a HIPAA-compliant direct mail company demonstrates your commitment to safeguarding their protected and sensitive data, which can build trust and enhance your reputation.
- Expertise: HIPAA compliance can be complex and demanding. To remain a compliant direct mail company, a thorough understanding of the regulations and best practices to ensure that your mailing campaigns are conducted in line with HIPAA requirements is paramount.
- Data Security and PHI Handling Expertise: HIPAA compliance requires enhanced security to protect PHI. A compliant direct mail company enforces policies and safeguards to secure data during the entire direct mail process, including data management, printing, mailing, and any storage required. Doing so can help reduce the risk of data breaches or unauthorized access.
- Audit Trail: HIPAA mandates the maintenance of a thorough audit trail for any PHI-related activities. Working with a compliant provider ensures that you have a comprehensive record of your mailing activities, which can be invaluable in case of an audit or investigation.
The bottom line? Privacy and trust are what you build your organization on, and so do we. Working with a HIPAA-compliant direct mail company is crucial for any organization that deals with private health data or related information. Let Kirkwood Direct help you maintain legal compliance, protect patient trust, reduce risks, and ensure the security of sensitive data, ultimately contributing to your success and reputation. Contact us today.